Last week we shared 10 of our favourite aromatherapy oil blends, and today we’re sharing two DIY recipes to put them to use. Creating a relaxing, happy environment is so important in the home, which is why diffusers and room sprays are a fantastic option! Both make fantastic DIY gift options, as the diffuser can be made in a container with a lid, with the bamboo sticks separate to the bottle for your recipient to assemble themselves.
The first recipe is for a reed diffuser, which uses bamboo sticks to diffuse the oils around a room, for a more subtle effect than most other diffusers, and works amazingly with citrus oils. The second recipe is for an aromatherapy spray which is really good for helping to relieve stress, as it can be taken on the go and sprayed when needed.
DIY reed diffuser:
- a glass jar or small vase with a small opening at the top
- 60ml base oil (such as almond, coconut etc)
- essential oils of your choice (find some of our favourite mixes here)
- small splash of vodka
- 4-6 bamboo skewers or reed diffuser sticks
- mix the oil and vodka in a measuring jug
- add 15 to 20 drops of essential oils and mix
- pour the mix into your chosen glass container
- pop in the bamboo sticks
- leave for 5 hours or so and then flip the sticks round once the oil has started to diffuse up them
- for lasting smell, replace sticks every couple of weeks
DIY aromatherapy spray:
- a small mist spray bottle (100ml works well)
- 100ml (if using a 100ml bottle) distilled water
- 20 drops of your favourite essential oils (find our suggestions here)
- Combine all the ingredients in the spray bottle. Shake well before each use and spray as needed around the room.